What is the purpose of the assessment?
The assessment you undertake will provide your Beilby Consultant and our client with an objective, independent appraisal of your reasoning abilities, occupational interests and personality. This information will be considered along with your work history, interview and references to allow an informed appreciation of your personal strengths and development potential. In short, the assessment will help us gain a more accurate understand of how you are likely to perform in the position for which you have applied.
What are reasoning and psychological tests?
They are professionally developed and validated measuring instruments. Our occupational tests and questionnaires have been specifically designed to measure the extent of your problem-solving abilities and your natural working style relative to other people. Unlike exams you may have taken at school or university there is no ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ to any of these tests. We will consider your personal profile in the context of a given position specification. You will neither be recruited nor rejected for a position on the basis of your test results alone. Instead, the information arising from your assessment and counselling discussion will contribute towards an overall evaluation of you as a person.
How can I prepare myself?
You cannot study for the assessment but here are some tips:
- Have a good sleep the night before. It is to your advantage to be mentally alert.
- Plan your travel so that you arrive at least 5 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. You may wish to have a cup of tea or coffee before the assessment.
- Allow yourself around two and a half hours for the assessment.
- Take your reading glasses if you need them.
- Be entirely honest in responding to the interest and personality questionnaires. We need to know what your are really like as this will assist us to place you in an appropriate position where you will be satisfied and effective.
- Be aware that in the reasoning tests you will need to respond to a number of multiple choice questions within a specific time limit. It is therefore important in these tests that you manage your time in order to progress both quickly as well as accurately.
- It is important to let your Beilby Consultant know if you are taking medication, which may affect your performance in the tests. Similarly, if you feel ill or are distracted during the assessment then let your Consultant know.
Will I receive feedback on my test results?
Yes. If requested Beilby will provide you with a typed report summarising your test results. There is no charge for this report. We hope it will assist you in your personal and career development.
Who else will have access to my test results?
Apart from your Beilby Consultant and our client contact, no one will have access to your test results without your specific permission. We retain your test results for a period of time in case you wish to make use of them.
Some key points to remember.
- Clearly understand what is expected of you.
- Seek feedback on your performances.
- Regularly review your employment goals – seek further challenges.
- Be aware of the culture of your new organisation – the office politics.
- Constantly monitor promotional/transfer opportunities.
- Continue to adapt and be responsive to change.